Friday 23 August 2013

Day 6. Camping it up (Patrick)

Not half bad: Bad Tolz hostel
I did not sleep the sleep of the just last night (so think of that what you might). Firstly, when I got back to my tent after the schnapps I found that a German entourage had arrived and pitched 2 tents, one extremely close to mine. Whilst I went straight to bed, they carried on making a lot of noise for a lot of time, possibly made worse as I couldn't understand a word of what they were saying although I distinctly heard reference to 'der englisher'.  My complete lack of knowledge of German meant that I was unable to remonstrate with them so I tried to ignore the noise.  Semi- successful in that but, unfortunately, my hope that the road noise would abate was only partially granted as throughout the night what sounded like angels of death whooshed down above my head and on into the night (read lorries).  Also lack of a decent pillow did not help.

I get up at about 7:30am ablute and quietly as possible pack up the tent and all.  The ablute reference is important (even though probably misspelt) as Jony's view is that decent showers are one of the benefits of camping.  My experience so far (1 and only) is that this is the case; I am unable to confirm Jony's other stated advantages but suspect there aren't any.

I have internal debate between devil and angel, the one suggesting that I start my bike up and generally make as much noise as possible to pay back my neighbours (who have not stirred, except for their rather nice dog - maybe they have some redeeming features, and they kayak as well), the angel says this is purine and I should do as I would be done by.  The angel wins and set off for the Zeppelin museum at Frederickshaven (sp). I find this very interesting - it appeals to the engineering geek in me.  J&C turn up after a while having tried to find me at another Zeppelin museum in the town they were staying in.

We set off quite late (10:30'ish) for the German Alpinestrasse and once we get onto it after Lindau it is wonderful. The scenery is truly great and would be lovely to contemplate if we were not doing about 70mph on windy and somewhat narrow roads (apart from where we get stuck behind motorhomes on hairpin sections). I try to show Schloss Neuswanstein (sp) to J&C but the crowds a defeat us. Instead we go into Austria and up to Simonsee (I think this is the name) which is beautiful and which Stella and I saw when we were touring around. J wants to bike up a mountain and although plenty around the roads all go up the valleys!  I stop at Garmish to show a skiing centre but it is not very interesting and so on at grande vitesse for thrills.


Wancansee (or as I prefer to call it 'I'm not saying lake') looks really lovely and I must go back some time and spend some time there. We drop downhill (up map) towards Munich and having learnt our lesson yesterday we have booked a room in the youth hostel at Bad Tolls.  It is new, the lady at reception speaks very good English and is helpful. The fancy wet room is questionable as I find it near impossible to operate the automatic tap in the basin. 

Personalised setting for breakfast: these Germans are so efficient. And nice.
The hostel is not near the centre but in what appears to be a new business park and we walk to a nearby bar which probably does a good trade by day but little by night; however, we have some good beer and Charlie evens goes to the bar to order seconds in German. This is mostly successful, Charlie and I get our beers but Jony gets sweet wine rather than red and dry - Charlie says the barman got it wrong.  Our food is what we need, I can say no more and so to bed. Although that should be the end of today's entry, I must point out that this is another first - 1st youth hostel, 1st campsite, and now first time in the top half of a bunk bed. I remember that in 'Porridge' Fletcher,aka Ronny Barker, had the bottom half - this makes me the younger and somewhat fay lad (whose name I cannot currently recall).  As I heave myself into the bunk from the top of the ladder I wonder whether it has been designed to take the leverage.

No comments:

Post a Comment