Thursday 5 September 2013

Day 20. Retracing one's steps - Cipieres to Maubec

Is it possible to miss the Eiffel Tower? Can one fail to see the Matterhorn? Well, we somehow failed to find our way to the Canyon du Verdon, one of France's most spectacular natural attractions, though we skirted round it admirably and came across the exit of the river into the Lac du Croix at its foot.

'You should see it once before you die,' I explained to the already frustrated Charlie, '...but maybe today is not that day.'

"Doesn't look like we're going very far," opined my youngest. And it wasn't far compared to the previous leg. But I had allowed for us getting lost, for detours and, to some extent, for a longish pause during the hottest part of the day. And it was hot.

As we were preparing to depart after a very enjoyable picnic lunch , I glanced at the dust on Charlie's front wheel - a thick, even, white layer covered the tyre area. Then I looked at mine and it was quite different. Closer inspection revealed that there were quite a lot of metal threads showing through on the curved edges of my front wheel - that's where there should be nice thick sticky rubber. Gulp.

There followed a rather tedious, slow journey past the chateau of the Marquis de Sade and on to a camp site at Maubec - both places that I had been to before on my bicycle tour. In fact most of the day's ride was a reversal of my former route, which gave it a special piquancy for me, quite apart from the natural attractiveness of the Luberon area.

Tonight we are holed up at the cheapest campsite in France: €3 for a motorbike and tent. Bargain. Mind you, we'll need every cent because tomorrow morning, we head to Avignon to find some tyres...

No comments:

Post a Comment