Sunday 1 September 2013

Day 15. The end is nigh (for Patrick)

> Firstly, I apologise for the odd words that the iPad keeps chucking in in past posts and probably in this one as well. You, and I, will just have to guess what I meant.
>
> Anyway, the last day. I try and find the citadel and what I think is a major memorial to the wars but again Arras defeats me and I depart. Then the rest of Northern France defeats me. I intended to go by A roads but there is not a direct one to Calais. I suspect that the French Government either got rid of it back in 1558 (when the English lost possession) or have more recently just built the peage autoroute over the top of it. Both have there merits but the latter has the added benefit of positive economics to which I contribute as I give up and go onto the peage. At the toll gate, I drop the ticket, have to stop the bike, get off it (which is not easy with the tent on the back) all to pay €3.50. Wish they would let bikes go free as they do for the Dartford Crossing.
>
> I get to Calais early but this is not a disaster as I just slip onto an earlier ferry with about 3 minutes to spare. My impressions of the UK? Well, surprisingly rather positive - lots of trees, difficult to remember to drive on the left and, very surprisingly, I didn't see a sign to tell you so. I wonder what the accident rate is near Dover on the inward going road. There is an accident at the Dartford Crossing and a huge tailback which I meander through (legal in UK but not in Europe). Driving in UK is of a lower standard than experienced in Germany.
>
> Now I am home and my total mileage was 2,656.
>
> That's all, folks!
> P.

No comments:

Post a Comment